This soup is named Vegetarian Kale Soup, but it can also be called Vegan Kale Soup, there is nothing in the original recipe at all that makes this non-Vegan. I have this simmering away on my stovetop as I type this. I hope it turns out good.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 8 cups water
- 6 vegetable bouillon cubes (I used 4 McCormick’s Easy Crumble Vegetable Stock cubes)
- 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (I used one large 28 oz can of whole plum tomatoes that I crushed)
- 6 white potatoes, peeled and diced (I used 5 yellow-flesh potatoes, scrubbed the skins but did not peel)
- 2 15 oz cans of canellini beans, drained and rinsed (I used one 19 oz can of white kidney beans)
- 3 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the water, bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning and parsley. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25 mins or until the potatoes are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.