I have an abundance of bananas in the freezer. I had a few going so I threw them in there, and then at work I got a bunch at the end of last week. (We have fresh fruit daily as an office perk, and the leftover bananas that won’t last the weekend are given to anyone who wants to bake with them. I got lucky I guess.)
I took another old recipe from a battered index card and made it Celiac and vegan friendly. It turned out pretty good I think.
Nutty Banana Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I had some pecans that were leftover from a salad so I used those)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg (I used cinnamon since I haven’t replaced my nutmeg yet)
- 1/2 cup vegan/GF chocolate chips (optional)
Mix wet ingredients in one bowl. Mix dry ingredients in another. Add wet to dry. Mix until all ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix. It is ok if it’s a bit lumpy. Spoon into 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
Again, I am a picture taking delinquent. Sorry. I suck at taking pictures. And when I do take pictures, they suck. I need some lessons or something.