Last weekend Levi and I made a trip to the Saskatoon Farmers’ Market. I love that place. We bought some heirloom tomatoes, rhubarb, and corn tortillas. We made a stop by The Garlic Guru and bought a gluten-free and vegan chocolate chip cookies and took home a roasted vegetable pizza. It was made with a gluten-free crust, roasted squash ‘sauce’ and Daiya cheese. And, it was delicious.
I don’t want to say that I ripped this idea off, but they did such a good job that I absolutely had to give it a try on my own. So, thanks to The Garlic Guru for inspiration. I’d be willing to bet that our version is much different. In fact, it really does taste different.
The only thing that I think could have used some work on their version of the pizza is the crust and well that’s just because I feel a bit partial to my pizza crust recipe.
This weekend I promised Levi I would give it a try at home.
Roasted Vegetable Pizza with Butternut Squash Sauce
Butternut Squash Sauce:
- 1 butternut squash
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Dried thyme
- Coconut milk
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place on a baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and scoop out all the flesh.
- Use a stick blender to smooth out. Add coconut milk as needed to get to a smooth consistency.
- 1/2 large eggplant, sliced thinly and quartered
- 1 zucchini, cut in half, sliced thinly
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 red peppers (or 1 red and 1 green) sliced thinly
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- Olive oil
- Mrs. Dash or similar seasoning blend
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place all vegetables on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Season with Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper.
- Bake in heated oven until veggies begin to soften and caramelize.
- Prepare the pizza crust recipe and blind bake it the first time.
- Spread butternut squash sauce on crust.
- Top with roasted vegetables. (Don’t over do it, or the crust can get soggy.)
- Sprinkle with Daiya mozza cheese shreds.
- Bake in 425F oven for 10 more minutes.