I thought these two flavors would go well together. Turns out so did Bobby Flay. I figured that out when I ‘googled’ watermelon and jicama together.
Tonight I made his recipe for the Jicama & Watermelon Salad from the FoodNetwork.com website. I had to make some minor adjustments to the original recipe for the dressing since I didn’t have an orange laying around.
Watermelon & Jicama Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 1/4 cup mango-passion fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 small jicama, cut into matchstick pieces
- 4 cups watermelon in 2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup roughly torn fresh mint leaves
- Whisk together juices, honey, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the jicama, watermelon and mint and toss to coat.
Not quite sure about what a jicama is? Check it out on Wikipedia. It’s kind of neat.