I wrote this blog post ages ago. Like, literally at least over a month ago. I’m not sure where the pictures I took of these squares ended up, but obviously they never made their way to this post until now. To be honest, I’ve been a tad lazy about rewriting it to make it more current so … enjoy this flashback to a month ago I suppose.
We have had a busy weekend of potlucks and going away parties and to be honest I’m really exhausted.
That’s why I made the same dessert twice in a row this weekend. I’m just plain lazy. To top it all off, I didn’t even find the recipe myself – I poached it from my friend Jacquelyn, The Gourmet Housewife.
This got some pretty rave reviews. I think only three people (other than me) in 225 guests even knew it was gluten free and vegan. Ok yes, not all 225 tried it … but whatever. 🙂
Raspberry Oatmeal Squares
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup crushed or chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam (or whatever flavor you have on hand!)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or sweet chocolate chips or wafers (I didn’t even bother with the chocolate this time)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8-inch square pan, and line with greased foil.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, rolled oats, and almonds in a medium-sized bowl. Rub in the butter using your hands or a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
- Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the jam to within 1/4 inch of the edge. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top, and lightly press it into the jam.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring constantly. Drizzle over pan. Allow to set before cutting into bars, about 5 minutes.