I was considering making a Southwest Quinoa Salad and realized that I was getting bored with eating it cold. I wanted something that was warm, or at least room temp.
So I took the ingredients brewing in my head for a new quinoa salad recipe and just made it as a side dish.
I hope you like it. I bet it would still make a great salad for lunch the next day. Just sayin’.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large avocados, cubed
- 1 cup corn kernels, either fresh or frozen
- ½ small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1-2 green onions, sliced finely
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder seasoning
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan bring the vegetable stock and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook about 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Let sit a few minutes then fluff with a fork.
- In a bowl mix the cooked quinoa with the onion, corn, tomatoes, black beans, cilantro and green onions.
- In a small bowl mix the lime juice, chili powder and garlic clove together. Lightly toss in the avocado. Stir gently to coat.
- Add the avocado mixture to the rest of the ingredients and toss together.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.