When I am asked to make a salad I will be honest and say that coleslaw is not my go-to salad choice. But, we were invited out for supper and I was specifically asked to make a version of coleslaw that Levi could eat.
The coleslaw I prefer isn’t really all that traditional so I figured it was time to find a recipe that was more suitable.
I looked up coleslaw recipes on AllRecipes.com and located one with a high rating that seemed to be closest to what I was looking for.
This is the original recipe at AllRecipes.com.
Instead of doing all the shredding myself I went the lazy route and bought the packaged shredded cabbage mix. Since I only made one package worth of coleslaw I didn’t make the original dressing recipe exactly to the amount indicated. My version is below.
- 1 package shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix)
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 green onions, minced
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise by Follow Your Heart)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or less if you prefer it a bit less sweet)
- ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw mix with carrots and green onions.
- In a small bowl mix vegan mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar well. Pour over coleslaw and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
I have to say this recipe turned out exactly like what I remember my mom making when I was a kid. I think I actually enjoy it more now as an adult than when I was a kid, though.
Oh, and I didn’t add any poppy seeds. I didn’t have any on hand. Every single time I think of poppy seeds I think of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine tested positive for opiates because of a poppy seed bagel. Classic.
Just for fun, here’s a clip from that specific episode ‘The Shower Head’: