Look at me getting all Italian with the title of this post.
The honest truth behind this recipe is not that I’m getting in touch with my Italian roots, but instead that I cleaned out my fridge yesterday and didn’t go buy groceries today.
So this was mostly just a mish-mash of ingredients and what I had on hand and a ‘hope-for-the-best’ moment.
It turned out good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup chopped sundried tomatoes in oil
- ½ cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 10 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package of spinach brown rice spaghetti,
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and saute about 2 minutes.
- Add red pepper and eggplant and continue to saute a couple minutes more.
- Add sundried tomatoes, artichokes, olives, and chickpeas. Stir to combine.
- Add canned tomatoes and seasonings, including salt and pepper. Stir and cover. Let cook on medium-low heat until eggplant and chickpeas begin to soften, about 10-15 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Serve over cooked spinach pasta (or pasta of your choosing).
Levi really liked this one. A lot. Which surprised me considering he isn’t much of a pasta fan. Our house guest also enjoyed it. This also surprised me, considering he hasn’t enjoyed a single thing I’ve made since his arrival. He went back for seconds.
It isn’t my most inventive dish, but it fed us and it was nice and tasty.