Seems like every single grocery store in Saskatoon had a special price on blood oranges this past week. They’re so pretty.
This recipe is honestly nothing special. It’s a classic combination of thinly sliced fennel bulb and juicy orange segments and a bit of oil and salt and pepper. But I took a nice little picture of the finished product and couldn’t not share.
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 medium blood oranges, peel removed and cut into supremes, plus any juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Place thinly sliced fennel into a bowl.
- Cut the orange supremes over the bowl so as to save any juice. Once you've cut out all the supremes, squeeze what you've got left to extract the juice.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toss the salad to combine.
- Serve chilled.
This was a nice light, summery treat enjoyed on a less-than-summery day in January.