Potato Dill Soup

Isn’t this a beautiful bunch of dill?

fresh dill

I bought it and knew I wanted to make a soup with it. Specifically a potato and dill soup. This is probably the simplest soup recipe ever. The potatoes cook up and add a nice creaminess to the soup. You don’t actually need the almond milk at the end but it’s kind of nice.

You can blend it up super smooth in your high-powered blender. Or, if you like some texture to your soup – like I do – you can use an immersion/stick blender and just whizz it up right in the pot leaving some larger chunks of potato.

This is the perfect spring rainy-day soup.

potato dill soup

Potato Dill Soup
Serves: 4-6
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • ¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk (optional)
  • 4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, generous measure
  1. In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
  2. Add garlic, onion, and celery. Saute for 5 minutes.
  3. Add diced potato. Saute for 1 minute.
  4. Add the vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until potato is nice and tender.
  5. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasoning.
  6. Blend the soup to your desired consistency.
  7. Add fresh dill and almond milk, if using.
  8. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed.

potato and dill soup

This soup looks delicious! I love potatoes and dill! I am finally growing dill in my garden and I have found the perfect use- your soup!

It’s such a warm and comforting soup. It really made me feel better after a few really rainy and exhausting days. I am growing some fresh dill in my garden this year (if I ever get my garden done). It’s one of my favorite herbs. I hope you like the soup. :)

I LOVE potato dill soup!!! It is one of Czech traditional soups and we make it in a similar way. We leave out the garlic and celery and cook the potatoes diced for texture. We add some lemon juice or vinegar at the end to taste. I will try your version soon :-)

Hi Elisabeth, thanks for sharing! I didn’t even know it was a Czech traditional soup. I love the idea of adding lemon juice at the end. Mmm. I’m going to have to try your version soon too. :)

3. Shannon Burgdorf says

This soup is amazing! I love it so much!! Since becoming gluten-free on top of being vegan, it’s been hard to find really good recipes but your website is a taste-bud saver :)

4. Catherine says

Had a similar soup yesterday, looking forward to trying this recipe tomorrow! How many servings does it make?

Hi Catherine, Sorry for not replying sooner! This soup should make between 4-6 generous servings. I’ll update the recipe to include that info. Thanks!