Sometimes there are recipes in my stash that are automatically gluten-free and vegan that I forget about. I usually rediscover them when I’m going through my recipe box or cookbooks on a rainy evening when I’ve seen all the episodes of my favorite Food Network shows and there’s nothing on TV.
Succotash has got to be one of the most inexpensive side dishes you can make. It’s still packed with some great protein and vegetables too. You can basically add any sort of veggies you have on hand which makes it a good pantry/fridge clean-out dish. It’s also lightening-quick to make … ready in about 20 minutes tops.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 can lima beans, drained
- Salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and corn and saute an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add the lima beans and stir to heat through, about a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is such a beautiful looking dish. I cut my asparagus a bit bigger than 1″ pieces. It kind of made it hard to shovel into my mouth. So cut your asparagus to 1″ if you care about looking less than dainty while eating your succotash.
I can’t really think of anything else to say about this dish. Lima beans, asparagus, corn, peppers, onions and garlic. All good things.