[box]This recipe has been featured in my newest cookbook Gluten Free & Vegan Family Feasts. It appears with over a dozen brand new recipes, never seen on my website before. Check it out![/box]
This is not my doing. I didn’t make this particular apple crisp. Levi did. I came home from my night class (Biology!!) and he had a bowl waiting for me.
He doesn’t blog. He doesn’t take pictures of himself making stuff. He doesn’t really care if you all get to see the step-by-step process of how this apple crisp came to be. And to be honest, apple crisp is pretty straight forward. I probably wouldn’t have taken tons of step-by-step pictures if I were making it. (Except, I’m currently in the infatuation stage of the relationship with my new camera and need to learn how to use every feature.)
In any case what you are getting with this recipe is a picture of what it looks like in the bowl, with a fork in it, after I ate a couple bites and thought to myself, ‘Ya know, I don’t have an Apple Crisp recipe posted yet. And ya know, Levi wouldn’t care if I posted about his baking endeavors.’ And so here we are.
Levi is much braver than I. Baking? In a nearly non-kitchen? Insanity.
Also, Levi is much less aware of the massive filth that the kitchen is currently ensconced in. I can’t even bear to go downstairs to see if he cleaned up an area to prepare this crisp. I just would rather not know. It tastes good and not dirty, so I guess we’re okay.
(A brief note about the kitchen. Today I have the day off school. I intend on scrubbing it from top to bottom so I can use it over the weekend. On Monday the filth resumes as the drywallers return to continue the dusty work of patching and finishing our ceilings and other random holes left from removing a wall and moving lights, etc. Knowing that it will get dirty again doesn’t matter. I just want to cook. There’s only so many times I can eat veggie tacos from the fast food joint that I swore I would boycott for life.)
Sorry, I got a bit distracted there. Shocking, right?
So here’s the Apple Crisp recipe. Courtesy of Levi, who took the recipe card out of my recipe box.
- 5 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar (use white, brown, or whatever sweetener you prefer)
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats (we use Only Oats)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts or shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In an 8x8 baking dish combine the sliced apples and sugar. Stir to coat well.
- In a medium bowl mix together the oats, brown sugar, brown rice flour and spice. (Levi used cinnamon.)
- Cut in the vegan margarine until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the walnuts or coconut. (Levi used coconut.)
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, making sure to coat evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is nice and golden brown.
- Let sit a few minutes before serving.