Pasta in a Can

When I was in Winnipeg recently I stopped at Organza Market and loaded up on some products that we can’t find yet here in Saskatoon.

I must have been on a shopping high because when I got everything home there were a few things I was confused about why I’d purchased.

Like this pasta in a can for instance.

gluten free canned pasta

I’ve never had pasta in a can. Ever. I don’t know why the thought of a gluten-free and vegan version of pasta in a can would appeal to me. It doesn’t. But here I had it and I figured I could write a bit about it … in case you miss pasta in a can. (And it’s okay if you do. It’s just not really my thing.)

In any case I decided to give this stuff a try. It’s Orgran Gluten Free Spaghetti in Tomato Sauce. I’d never heard of this brand before. From what I can tell after a quick browse on their site, it’s an Australian-based company that does alternative grain products such as this. I have to say their product offering is quite diverse, though I wonder how much of their stuff is available internationally. It would be neat to try some of their other things.

So here’s what it looks like in the can.

gluten free pasta and sauce in a can

And here’s what it looks like heated up and on a spoon.

canned pasta - gluten free

It’s pasta in a can. What can I say? I don’t know if it tastes like Chef Boyardee or whatever because I’ve never had that before.

Did it fill me up? Sure. Which is kind of surprising when you think about the size of this tiny can and what the regular size cans of Chef Boyardee are.

Did it taste okay? Yeah, it wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever eaten. It was pasta in a can. (I know I already said that before. But there’s not much else to say.)

Did I feel pathetic and soul-less after? Definitely. Because I was home alone, with an empty fridge, and feeling sorry for myself because all the left-overs I had saved got eaten by Levi and I had no lunch. And so I ate pasta in a can.

I’m probably being a bit unfair since this sort of food isn’t really something I’d normally eat. So let me ask you guys. Have you tried this? What did you think of it?

Comments

1. Kat says

I have tried this, they sell it in a couple of local supermarkets.. It’s alright considering gluten free pasta doesn’t tend to be up to much and it gives a quick meal, although I don’t feel that it is the most nutritious meal so only eat it occasionally.. not bad for pasta in a can though! :-) x

You’re right, I wasn’t going in expecting much from the gluten-free pasta end of things – especially after it has been sitting in a can. It did the trick for a quick lunch.

2. nancy says

I have tried it. I was really excited, hoping it would be super tasty. Not so much. Just as you said, it isn’t awful, but it is just “meh.” It’s good to have around for an emergency meal, but not something you would look forward to. The pasta’s consistency is too mealy and the tomato sauce is sort of bland. But it’s unfair to expect otherwise. It’s pasta in a can….

Yup we are on the same page Nancy! And you’re so right – it really is unfair to expect otherwise from this! It is what it is.

Is it like spaghettios? I don’t usually give this sort of thing to my kids, but it might be nice for one of those awkward moments that we’re outside eating risotto and tofu and the rest of the neighborhood is eating spaghettio’s or ramen.

The problem with my “review” if you can even call it that is that I have never had regular Alphagetti or Spaghetti-o’s or any of those regular canned pastas. I don’t have anything to compare it to. I think it would probably be basically the same but maybe some of the other commenters can lend more insight. I’d rather have tofu and risotto even if the entire neighborhood was eating canned pasta … but I totally get how kids like to fit in. My mom used to make us the weirdest lunches for school and nobody ever wanted to trade. 😉

PS Spaghetti in a can is totally normal to us – it’s always in the isle with the baked beans. You have it on toast for breakfast – yum!

Hey! Thanks for the comments. The list of different products from Orgran totally intrigued me too. I hope to try some of their other stuff. Here in N.America we have pasta in a can too, but I’d never tried it before. My mom wasn’t into processed foods when we were growing up and so stuff like that never ended up on our plates. But, on toast for breakfast sounds like something distinctly Australian. Very cool to learn little things like that! Thanks again for stopping by!