I sure love browsing for new recipe ideas online. In most cases I know they’re not vegan or gluten-free but I love letting my imagination wander, trying to figure out a way to replicate it so that we can eat it.
That’s what this recipe is all about. Inspired by this recipe from The Realistic Nutritionist for Pumpkin Skillet Lasagna, I knew I had to make a vegan and gluten-free version.
The first time I made this I used gluten-free brown rice lasagna noodles like the original recipe suggests. It worked just fine. But the next time I made it, I was extra lazy and had a half a package of gluten-free brown rice pasta shells in the pantry so I just used that up. The texture and flavor was still just as awesome.
Also, in my version I upped the mushrooms and garlic, used almond milk instead of cream, and subbed out the regular ricotta with vegan ricotta.
I used my recipe for Vegan Ricotta in this recipe. You don’t need to let it strain in the cheesecloth or anything. Just whiz it up and use it as is in this recipe. It’s got the same consistency and texture of real ricotta this way.
Both times I made this I chose not to add Daiya cheese shreds. I don’t think it would have added anything extra special to an already very rich dish full of complex flavors. You can choose to add some shreds to your version if you feel like you want that extra bit of cheesiness.
I took pictures and I’m not going to lie … it’s really difficult to make this look appetizing. It’s a mashup in a pan, afterall. But please don’t let my lousy photos and lack of food-styling prevent you from trying this rich and decadent – and EASY! – weeknight supper.
- ½ lb gluten free pasta or 7 gluten free lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine or olive oil
- ½ large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup almond ricotta
- 1 cup Daiya mozzarella shreds, optional
- Cook pasta or lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Heat margarine or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add in garlic and mushrooms. Saute for another 5-8 minutes until mushrooms begin to soften and start to brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix pureed pumpkin, almond milk, ground sage, dried basil, garlic powder and nutmeg until smooth.
- Add to skillet and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir and heat through.
- Add cooked pasta. Gently stir.
- Add in almond ricotta and Daiya shreds, if using.
- Fold gently into the pumpkin-noodle mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.