Ah broccoli and cheddar. A match made in heaven. A perfect marriage of flavors. There’s something comforting about broccoli and cheddar. Except you don’t need real cheddar. You can use Daiya cheddar shreds and still enjoy this classic flavor in this tasty recipe.
These little cute bites make a great appetizer or a fun side dish. If you don’t have a mini-muffin pan I recommend baking this in a casserole dish and serving it up like a baked quinoa side dish. I tried making these in a regular muffin pan once and they just didn’t stay together nicely for a pop-in-your-mouth appetizer. The flavor will still be amazing both ways.
These keep in the fridge for a couple days once baked up but will lose their crispiness so if texture is important to you, gobble these up the same day.
Oh, and a note about chopping the broccoli. You should make sure you actually chop it up into nice small pieces. I left some bigger florets the first time I made these and where there were bigger chunks of broccoli the mini-muffins fell apart.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar-style shreds
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon Herbamare or your favorite seasoning blend
- Oil spray for mini-muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin tin with oil.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Stir to combine well. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Spoon mixture into greased mini-muffin tins. Press firmly to pack each muffin cup fully.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until edges become lightly browned and crispy. Let cool about 5 minutes before popping the bites out out of the muffin tin.