Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip-pea Cookies

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip-pea Cookies | The Gluten Free Vegan

Forget everything you ever thought you knew about chickpeas. They’re not just for hummus anymore.

These cookies are the most amazing gooey morsels of taste excellence and I think they’re relatively healthy.

I originally saw this recipe on one of my friends’ Facebook wall. I had all the ingredients on hand so I figured why not try them. I had to adjust the recipe that was there because I refused to waste 1/4 cup of chickpeas like the recipe indicated. So I made some adjustments where I thought some needed to be made.

There are a bunch of different posts with the same basic ingredients as the one on Facebook and I’m really not sure who to credit in this case. So please forgive me Internet for just not.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip-pea Cookies
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
The secret ingredient to these grain-free chocolate chip cookies are chickpeas. They taste amazing!
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 24 cookies
  • 1 x 19 oz can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and patted dry
  • ¾ cup natural peanut butter (see note)
  • ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of sea salt, optional
  • ¼ - ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In the work bowl of your food processor combine all ingredients except chocolate chips. Blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
  3. Add in chocolate chips and pulse a few times.
  4. Drop by teaspoonfuls on prepared baking sheet. You don't need to leave a lot of room between the cookies as they don't spread out or rise up much at all.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 - 10 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
  6. Cookies can be frozen.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 cookie Calories: 114 Fat: 6 Carbohydrates: 12 Sugar: 67 Sodium: 94 Protein: 3

Note: I used fresh ground peanut butter which has very little oil (like none, basically) and no salt. If your natural peanut butter has a lot of oil you may only need 1/2 cup of peanut butter. Start with less and add more by the tablespoonful as needed. If your peanut butter is salted you may omit the pinch of sea salt.

1. Sam says

I’m deathly allergic to peanuts, can I substitute it out with something else? I would love to be able to have peanut butter cookies without the threat of death

If you’re able to tolerate other nut butters, you could probably substitute almond butter, sunbutter, etc. I think there’s a peanut-free peanut butter out there somewhere though I’ve never tried it personally. Good luck!

I’ve been making cakes and cookies with chickpeas ever since I first saw a recipe on chocolate covered Katie’s blog, and I couldn’t agree with you more — they taste great and have a wonderful texture. Who knew? Now I have to try your recipe, too.

3. Crystal says

Hey Megan,

I understand you are going to be a regular columnist in our Fine Lifestyles magazine. I am so excited to have you onboard!!!

I just made these little nuggets of goodness and wanted to let your followers know that they are just as good with almond butter. I also replaced the agave with a few drops of stevia and combined 1 TBSP of Nutracleanse (flax seed, psyllium husk, dandelion fibre blend) with 2 Tbsp water to make up some of the liquid content. (as sufferer of candida I try to avoid sugar and peanut butter as much as possible). I also added 2 Tbsp oatmeal for texture. YUM!!
    I too have tried Chocolate Covered Katie’s chickpea cookie, but love your twist. Guilt-free breakfast cookie! You are awesome Megan!

Thanks so much Crystal. I’m excited to be able to contribute to such a great publication.

Also, thanks for sharing your adjustments to this recipe. I’ve never used Nutracleanse before but it sounds very interesting. I’ll have to check it out. Love the idea of adding oatmeal. Yum!

4. Breayn says

Hi Megan –
    Thanks for this great recipe! I really enjoyed these cookies and only made a few minor changes. I used fresh almond butter instead of the peanut butter and I made my own baking powder, as I can’t have the cornstarch that’s typically in it. I was curious as to how soft the cookies normally turn out when you make them. I took them out at 10 minutes and let them cool and they were quite soft throughout, so I put them back in the oven for a couple extra minutes. Even with the additional time they are pretty soft. They taste great, just soft and I wasn’t sure if this is how yours turned out. I was afraid they might burn if I put them in again. Thanks for any help/advice and thanks again for this yummy recipe. They were a hit at work!

5. Danette says

These sounded so weird, but I figured as easy as they sounded, and with stuff I always have, why not try them? They were SO GOOD!! What a great alternative to a bunch of pricey flours I don’t use very often!

So glad you were pleasantly surprised by these babies! I know we were too. And you’re right, super inexpensive to make and with ingredients that are almost always on hand. Thanks for commenting Danette!

6. Katie says

Since I haven’t ever seen 19 oz cans, I got a couple of 15 oz. cans of chick peas. I decided it would be easier to do an about 1.5 batch (more cookies, YAY!) than trying to do a 3/4 batch. I also added a bit extra maple syrup because I thought the dough was a little tough and not quite sweet enough.

Got great reviews from my friends, husband and sister. I was meeting with my friends for lunch, and I was in charge of dessert this time, and amongst my friends, we have a vegan, a gluten free and a chocolate allergy (hurray for not having to worry about nuts too!). I made a batch without the chocolate chips for the chocolate allergy and it was still really good. My husband who doesn’t much care dietary restrictions thought they were amazing, too.

Katie, thanks for letting me know that it’s hard to find 19oz cans of chickpeas. I assumed that’s a standard size found everywhere but I guess not. Good to know! I’m glad to hear they were a hit with everyone. :)

7. Tricia says

OMG!! These things are incredible! I cant believe how good they are! I could only find 15oz cans of chick peas, but followed all the directions the same. We love them raw more than cooked! And with all these ingredients we normally eat without cooking, who can go wrong?! 😀

8. sara says

I know you said that there was no way of knowing the original source of this recipe, etc- but you still used your name as the author of the recipe in the entry, and linked to your site…this seems kind of obnoxious. you should just leave the author uncredited. taking credit for anonymous or collaborative work is better than assuming credit for another named person, but it is still misleading and really just unwarranted. as a reader of your blog, im really surprised by this kind of attention seeking action. when others link to your recipe, its likely that youll be credited as the original author and your “disclaimer” will be nothing more than a feeble excuse to point to.

It wasn’t meant to be attention seeking Sara. I think you’re probably reading into it a bit much. Have you Googled how many chocolate chip chickpea cookie recipes are out there? That being said, I adjusted what the author field states.