Gluten Free Bread Flour Blend

Gluten Free Bread Flour Mix | The Gluten Free Vegan

You know something? I don’t really bake a lot of bread. I just don’t really care for bread – gluten-free or otherwise. But there are moments where bread comes in handy. To be toasted for breakfast, to be used for sopping up chili or soup, to sandwich awesome fillings.

I’ve adapted a flour blend from Bette Hagman’s book The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread to be totally vegan. It is probably the flour blend that I have the most success with so I wanted to share it here.

This blend is scaled down to make enough flour blend for two loaves of Basic Bread or Hemp & Seed Bread. There may be a little bit of flour blend left over – about half a cup or so. I’ve tried without much success (thanks in part to my lousy halving, measuring, counting skills) to make the blend match two loaves perfectly. So this is the best I could do.

Gluten Free Bread Flour Blend
A gluten-free flour blend that works great for basic breads.
Recipe type: Gluten Free Flour Blend
Cuisine: Bread & Baking
  • 1½ cups chickpea flour
  • ½ cup sorghum flour
  • 2 cups tapioca starch
  • 2 cups cornstarch
  • 1½ tablespoons xanthan gum
  • ½ tablespoon salt
  • ½ tablespoon egg replacer powder
  • 1½ tablespoons agar powder
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  1. Sift all ingredients together. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place until ready to use. Shake/stir before using.

Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link to If you click through and purchase something from I receive compensation. Thank you for supporting my blogging.

1. Melanie says

I cannot stand the taste and smell of sorghum flour and it seems many of the homemade blends are using it. Is there another suitable flour I could substitute? Thanks!

Brown rice flour is one that I generally find easy to interchange back and forth with sorghum flour with decent results each time. Most of my recipes that use sorghum flour tend to use a blend of both sorghum and brown rice flour because I find it balances the flavors a bit better.

2. Manuela says

Hi Melanie,
    I find that brown rice and teff flours are good flours to interchange with sorghum. Try one or mix the two.

I haven’t tried baking bread without the use of sweetener of some kind. When it comes time to mix this up into a loaf to bake, the yeast in your bread recipe needs some sort of sugar to feed off of. Maybe you could use something like coconut sugar in place of granulated sugar or choose an unrefined cane sugar if that’s available. I would be hesitant to leave it out completely though.

• angela says

I make my own bread in a bread machine every 3-4 days. It’s not gluten free, but I stopped adding sugar to my bread a while ago, and I didn’t notice anything different!! I think the bread still tastes great, and it rises just as well as it did when I was adding sugar. I was using pure cane sugar, then I switched recipes and was using brown sugar. I have made both recipes with and without sugar and didn’t notice a difference when the sugar was left out.

3. Christine says

Hi! Just wanted to know if you’ve ever tried to sub the cornstarch with potato starch or arrowroot? I’ve recently developed an intolerance to corn products. Thanks :)

You could try substituting the cornstarch with an equal mixture of potato starch and additional tapioca starch. I don’t know how that would turn out, but I bet it would work! If you try it, let us know please. :)

Gina, this bread flour mix works great in the two bread recipes I’ve linked to above in the post. I suggest trying out those recipes for instructions on how to bake it up in the oven. I have made the Basic Bread recipe in the bread machine and it turns out okay but I much prefer oven baking it for the texture and rise.

4. Manuela says

Hello Megan I am making your flour mix but I realize I don t have tapioca starch but tapioca flour. What do I do? add just more corn starch?

Tapioca flour and tapioca starch are one and the same. It gets labelled differently but they’re both the same. Go ahead and use your tapioca flour. :)