If I had to choose a favorite legume I think it’s safe to say I’d go with the lentil. Any kind of lentil will do, though I tend to favor the humble green/brown lentil. They add a boost of protein and fibre to any recipe and cook up in less time than other dried beans. They’re versatile and hearty. Yes, I do love lentils. So much so, that I used both red and green/brown lentils in this recipe.
This soup is really just another one of those throw-whatever-you-have-in-the-fridge type of recipes. It’s an un-recipe. So use this as a guideline for making your own batch or make it exactly as I’ve outlined below. Either way, I’m sure it’ll turn out very tasty.
I believe I’m physically incapable of making a small pot of soup. It’s a quality that Levi bemoans because he is not a huge fan of soup. So luckily for him, this soup freezes well so he isn’t expected to eat the same soup for days on end. I do love having some sort of soup in the freezer on hand for quick lunches or lazy suppers where we aren’t too hungry or I’m too lazy or busy to cook. (That seems to be happening an awful lot lately.) I find that after you thaw the soup it’s a bit thicker than before, so you may need to add a bit of water to help thin it out again when you’re reheating it.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup green (brown) lentils
- ¼ cup uncooked rice
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic, celery and carrots until onion begins to soften.
- Add lentils and rice. Sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Add seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes, until rice and lentils are tender.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning, as needed.
What’s your favorite legume? What’s your favorite way to use lentils in a recipe?