I have this old (well 20-ish years old) book of classic family recipes that my mother-in-law put together for me after we were married. It’s falling apart and some of the recipes I’ve already transferred to another book but I still refuse to get rid of it for some reason. I’m glad I didn’t because I found another gem in there that I just made and have to share with you.
(I mean, it’s been like two years since I’ve shared anything … it’s about time I think.)
I have been using a gluten-free flour blend that I’ve picked up at Bulk Barn here in Canada. I don’t know who makes it but here’s the link to the ingredient information on their website so you can either find something similar in your area or even perhaps blend your own. Alternately, you could probably just use a mix of brown rice flour and tapioca starch and it’d be okay since it’s not a ton.
Dream SquaresCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
Enjoy this classic family recipe – a dessert square with a buttery shortbread base and gooey coconut, walnut and cherry topping. Perfect little dainty for goodie platters at your next social event.
- Shortbread Base
1 cup gluten-free flour blend of your choice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- Gooey Topping
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup glace cherries, chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan.
- Combine gluten-free flour, granulated sugar and softened butter together in a medium bowl until crumbly. Press the mixture firmly into the prepared baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, second amount of gluten-free flour, coconut, walnuts, cherries and baking powder. Spread the gooey mixture carefully over the pressed shortbread crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting into 25 squares. Store in fridge for best results.
I hope you enjoy this classic recipe, re-invented to be gluten-free, as much as we did.