Mac & Cheese - Vegan and Gluten-Free
- 1 lb brown rice elbow pasta, cooked just shy of al dente
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used plain, unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 cups Daiya shreds (I used 1 cup cheddar and 2 cups mozzarella, as that's what I had on hand)
- ½ cup gluten-free and vegan bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt vegan margarine.
- Add nutritional yeast and black pepper.
- Pour in non-dairy milk and add Daiya shreds.
- Whisk to mix and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue to whisk occasionally while shreds melt and sauce becomes smooth. Do not let the sauce scorch.
- Once the sauce is smooth and heated through, pour over cooked elbow noodles.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- Mix bread crumbs and paprika then sprinkle on top.
- Bake about 15 minutes in preheated oven, until sauce begins to bubble and topping browns slightly.
Recipe by These Things I Love at http://thesethingsilove.com/2011/12/mac-cheese-vegan-and-gluten-free/